Over 300 Crashes Reported After Long Weekend Snowstorm in Waterloo Region

Over 300 Crashes Reported After Long Weekend Snowstorm in Waterloo Region

Waterloo Region is still grappling with the fallout from a chaotic long weekend snowstorm that turned roads into a nightmare for drivers. Local police are working overtime to keep up with the sheer volume of crash reports still pouring in.

“It’s been a busy stretch,” said Staff Sgt. Scott Griffiths of the Waterloo Regional Police Traffic Services Unit.

According to Griffiths, as of Tuesday, more than 300 collisions had been reported between Friday and Monday. However, that number is expected to rise as more drivers continue filing reports.

“We’ve had a steady stream of people at the police collision reporting centre since Monday,” he said. “There’s likely a significant number of additional crashes that are only now being documented.”

The Impact: Property Damage and Injuries

Among the 300-plus reported crashes, 289 involved property damage, while 12 resulted in personal injuries. Fortunately, none of the injuries were life-threatening.

Griffiths described the storm’s impact as creating “one of the worst driving weekends” in recent years. And the bad news? Winter isn’t done wreaking havoc just yet.

“We’ve had relatively mild winters the past few years,” he said. “But this time, it’s persistent. The snow isn’t melting, and it’s not going away anytime soon.”

A Plea for Caution

With roads still dealing with lingering effects—narrowed lanes, snow-covered streets, and towering snowbanks—police are urging drivers to exercise extra caution.

“The conditions remain challenging, and we need everyone to take it slow and drive carefully,” Griffiths emphasized.

As winter continues its relentless grip, it’s clear that drivers in Waterloo Region will need to stay alert—and maybe rethink that last-minute dash to the store in a blizzard.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *